Wednesday, June 11, 2008

And I Thought I Had it Bad...


This is my hometown. Today I heard on NPR that my little home town was sandbagging like crazy, trying to keep out the water from the Cedar River. Turns out that the water has crested and is going down a bit, but unfortunately they're supposed to get more rain in the next few days. Downtown has been evacuated. My sister said they have the presidential state of emergency, which is big news. To put this in perspective, here is a picture of the Ice House Museum on a dry day. I'm told currently has about 8-10 feet inside of it.


And this is the boat house:












In this YouTube clip, all you can see of the boat house is the roof.

3 comments:

JustCara said...

I'm totally cracking up at the commentary. God I love the midwest!

Melinda said...

Yeah, I know. I didn't pay much attention, then I heard, "Well, I'm taking pictures since Dad won't..."

Anonymous said...

we saw aunt tex sandbagging on footage from msnbc or cnn! it is still raining up here at the headwaters of the cedar, so it will only get worse. so sad. auntie em