Friday, February 15, 2008

Oh, Sarajevo....

Today, I got my tax return info. I'm getting a refund! (Note: already spent on photographer, dangit.) I was told to print off a page, sign it, scan it and send it back. No problem. So I printed a page and noticed that it was black on top, then it was grey, and then practically nothing. I knew the time had come to replace the ink cartridge. We'd already used one color cartridge, but finding a replacement wasn't difficult.

But expecting things to go the way they've previously gone has gotten me into more interesting situations.

Wiley and I put on our coats to go across the street to the computer store that had sold us our color cartridge, but they didn't have the black ink cartridge. We went to the shop that sold us the printer, and they didn't have it. We walked about 10 minutes west of us to a computer store that had printer paper, but they didn't have the cartridge. We walked upstairs in the complex, and they only had the color cartridge. We walked outside to a winter wonderland - big, fat flakes were starting to fall, and with the flakes, came the wind, which made my ears sing. We hurried along the road, stopping at two more computer shops, to no avail. Then, Wiley found a bookstore and figured it couldn't hurt to look. I had this thought, but then I reasoned with myself that a bookstore would only carry books. I mean, a butcher carries raw meat; the computer shops are supposed to carry computer equipment and supplies; the curtain store only has curtains; paper shops carry paper; so a bookstore should only carry books. And of course, this is where we found it: the black cartridge, the only one left, the one in the display. And we snatched it up and went home to drink the last of the sugar-free hot cocoa Auntie Em sent me last month.

I kinda chuckle at this experience...it reminded me (and Wiley) of our first weeks here, searching in vain for curtains, food, printers, paper. It irritated me a little then, and since it was cold, it irritated me tonight. Me thinks this is God's way of lessening the pain that I'll feel when I leave this city and Wiley. "Remember convenience - one-stop shopping - WalMart, Target, Trader Joe's..."

Oh yeah...I'm looking forward to that.

5 comments:

kcmeesha said...

When I was a kid we had a separate store for everything-bread,milk,shoes, toys, TV's, everything required a separate trip.

Anonymous said...

don't you have a more personal bond with things now; appreciating how you came by them and less mindless buying? but i do love being able to get kitty litter and milk without going extra miles. auntie em

Melinda said...

Meesha: I'm not sure I'd really enjoy that with children.

Auntie Em: as you know, I don't buy mindless items! I'm always looking for a deal, but if it's not something I need, I pass it by. I'd be happy to go to mom-and-pop stores, but I appreciate the one-stop shopping more now than I did.

Anonymous said...

On a different subject, did you invite Jess to be part of the Sweatin' Sisters? I had an email from her last week or so at her same old address. Aunt Tex

Anonymous said...

i guess i was thinking of the "royal" you, as i know you are a great shopper. auntie em