Sunday, May 25, 2008

Turtle-icious

Well, I have to say that Target's SPF 50 certainly did the trick, so save a buck and don't get Coppertone. I'm just as white as I always am. Today I went out with a friend and rented a kayak to go out on Griffy Lake. We had a quick breakfast at the Runcible Spoon and headed on our merry way to this lake that's very close to campus. Before getting in the boat, I slathered on my face sunscreen and my sport sunscreen. We were on the lake for about an hour and a half, and I barely got anything...a little sun would be nice, especially on the legs, but it wasn't to be today.

Instead, what I got was turtles. Lots and lots of turtles. On our way back to the boathouse, we spotted 18 on one single log sunning themselves! All different shapes and sizes. We also saw a heron, an egret, a duck, and several geese.

And to top it all off tonight, I saw a mouse. Outside my back door. Rewind went a little nutters at the door, so I stepped outside and became a statue. After a few minutes, my crouch was rewarded with a little grey nose poking out of the hole under the concrete slab that I was standing on. He took a little bite of leaf, then ducked back under. I wasn't actually sure it was a mouse - I couldn't find any eyes on it at all...in fact, it looked like where the eyes were were just little grey dots of nothing. So part of me wondered if it was a mole. Whatever it was, it was small, and as soon as it smelled me, was gone. Then, not a minute later, I heard rustling of leaves...turns out by my air conditioner, there's a rather large hole going into what I think is the bottom of the house. So I emailed my landlord and said more poison was needed. Then I realized my landlord is a schmuck and decided to put my electronic trap outside to trap The Thing That Lives. We'll see if I'm successful. If I'm not and I have another mouse to deal with inside, you'll be hearing me curse all the way from Indiana.

Have I mentioned how happy I am that I am leaving this place??

No comments: