Sunday, January 6, 2008

Tearing Up

I found a wonderful dahl soup recipe a long time ago and bookmarked it. Then the bookmark stopped working. I've been searching for another dahl soup that's just as easy and just as tasty, but I haven't found anything yet.

So tonight, I winged it. Threw in some lentils and water, an onion and carrots, ginger, sage, cumin, garam masala, saffron (which is WAY cheap over here and tastes better than what we have in the States), salt and pepper, and lo and behold, I kick ass. While not completely done just yet, I've taste-tested it, and I can declare it a masterpiece. It's funny when you don't measure anything and just throw things together and they turn out tasty. Wiley's pretty good at this, but being a baker, I know measuring spoons were made for a reason. It's nice to let loose every so often and still have everything turn out all right.

2 comments:

kcmeesha said...

Your pictures are great but I think it's hard to impossible to make a living selling pictures. Even Eric has a full-time job.

Anonymous said...

your grandma knuths always called that kind of experimenting "cooking by guess and by golly." auntie em