Friday, January 25, 2008

This Ain't Me.

NYT had an article about how bridezillas try to slim down before their big day. They use extreme techniques, like going on liquid diets and taking laxatives, and they buy dresses one to two sizes smaller than their normal dress size.

Nutters! That's what this is. I know I said I wanted to tone up and I could lose 5 or 10 pounds, but if it doesn't happen, I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I'm at a healthy weight, and I'm ok with it. The article mentioned that most of the women want to lose 20 pounds. That doesn't seem like a lot, and if it can be done responsibly, like 1 or 2 pounds a week, then hooray. But yo-yoing just doesn't work, which is what will happen.

My question is, if you weren't already 20 pounds thinner, why do it? You'll forever have this picture of yourself at your thinnest and it will be a reminder for all your days that you're never going to be that thin again. You're just setting yourself up for a life of self-hatred. With all the low self-esteem issues people have today, why put yourself through that crap?

2 comments:

Spyder said...

Rational thinking! Go girl!

Anonymous said...

now, now; let's not take all the business away from therapists! auntie em