Saturday, April 19, 2008

Better Late than Never

So, an earthquake was felt in Indiana Friday morning. I had been told it was around 4:30, but news sites say it happened at 5:37, which is just about the time I was leaving town, and originally, I didn't feel anything because I originally thought I was in bed sleeping, but I actually was in the car going through town, and there was one time that I thought I hit a real rough patch and the car shook. Who can tell a 5.2 earthquake from hitting a pothole? Apparently not me. My flight left at 7:45 am, no problems whatsoever, though I later heard that they shut down the airport to make sure the runways were ok. But I got out just fine, and made it to KC about a half-hour early.

After meeting up with my friend, we went to the jeweler, and voila! Sapphire for my wedding band all picked out. Mission accomplished. Lunch at Touch of Asia, which rocks my world and if you want a great Indian experience, go there (on Metcalf and near 435), then a stop by the old law firm to say my hellos and see what was up with my old gang. Then it was off to see an Austrian film called The Counterfeiters with another friend (great soundtrack and I really enjoyed the movie), then dinner, where the bacon was left off our burgers ("Oh, I know you'll tell the waiter when he comes back," quipped McCoy) and I was told that I'm nice but crispy. "There were signs you needed to leave," he said. "There's a reason you dated a guy in Indiana." Oh, really? I always thought I was such a good actress. And now my world has crumbled! Are you reading this, McCoy? Crumbled!!!

Today I had breakfast at Corner Cafe - if you've not been to this little slice of heaven in Riverside, get thee up there now. They have cinnamon rolls as big as your head. I had some delicious pancakes, golden hashbrowns, bacon, and an egg. Oh, yum, yum, yum.

I got to the airport about a half-hour before my flight left. I have to stop misreading my flight information. I thought it left at 12:20, so I intended to be there at 11, but then my ride decided to drop off her recycling on the way, so at 11:25, I was finally at the airport. No biggie. I flew on Southwest today, and I got to experience the whole "it's less of a cattle call now" experience. Instead of just having a boarding card of A, B or C, you get to have a letter AND a number. I was A39, so now you get the privilege of asking people around you what number they are and then you line up accordingly. I suppose it's a nice way of networking, if you're into that sort of thing.

The flight went smoothly. I talked to a lady from Texas who's coming up to help her sister and then flying over to Utah to help her son after his surgery. He works for Southwest, so she gets free flights wherever and whenever. What a perk!! Arriving at the Indianapolis airport was bittersweet. This is the first time I've flown into the airport where Wiley hasn't been waiting for me. So while I was glad to be getting home to my cats (I've discovered Rewind likes chocolate chip cookies, as he opened the bag and ate one that I made for a friend, so I hoped there wasn't a mountain of puke waiting for me), I was sad that only the cats welcomed me home.

I have an interview with a promising firm on Tuesday. Hopefully things go well enough that I land a job. Whatever hocus pocus you believe in, do it now for me!


meesha.v said...

I had this movie in mind. I may see it tomorrow. You missed the quake!

Spyder said...


Melinda said...

I thought the movie was great, and though the Tivoli theater is "old" by our standards, I really enjoy its quaintness and the fact that I don't have to traverse any stairs to get to my seat.

Melinda said...

Thank you Spyder!!