Saturday, October 20, 2007

Yet Another Surprise

We made this - with our own hands! And it tasted wonderful!!! We found a really easy recipe online: 1 1/4 cups warm water, mix with about a teaspoon of yeast (I guessed on this, as it said a package but our package of yeast probably was a half a cup, not what you'd find in the States), then add in 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 T sugar and 4 cups flour gradually. Mix until uniform, then split into 2 balls, roll out (we don't have a rolling pin so it was just pushing for us), then place on a cookie sheet, take a fork and make some holes, and bake at 375 for 10 minutes sans toppings. Take out, add your sauce and toppings, and put in for another 10-15 minutes, and voila!! We used green olives and hamburger. Growing up, I hated homemade pizza. Normally my mom was a good cook, and she and my dad liked the thin-crust, runny tomato-sauce creation she concocted, but not me. But this - this I can do!! And no longer am I at the mercy of pizzerias. I can make my own good-tasting pizza!


4 comments:

Izzi said...

So I was googling "pizza take-out Sarajevo" and hit upon your blog. Americans in Sarajevo! Welcome! I've been here a little over a month and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm here for a year teaching and researching-- why are you two here? Feel free to email me if you'd like to get coffee sometime at echammond@gmail.com.

Pizza looks delicious, by the way.

Anonymous said...

a long time ago we found a pizza roller, two wooden rollers of different sizes connected by a metal handle. works great! your everythng store may have one. and if your glassware is sturdy, you can use a greased and floured one to roll out dough. we'll try the dough recipe, too, thanks! glad you are having fun there discovering new things. auntie em

Melinda said...

My everything store has squat! We saw a cooking show on TV where a lady had what looked like a broom handle as her roller...we could always use our squeegee handle, I guess, for sugar cookies! hahahaha.

Elizabeth, next time we make pizza, come over!

Anonymous said...

We had Papa Murphy's tonight while we watched UNI cream Western Illinois. Still undefeated and No. 1! Our pizza was veggie all the way. Aunt Tex